Sunday 1 September 2013

Edith Falls 29/8/2013



It was another early start as we had seen that there was a 8.6kmreturn hike to another waterhole. We knew it would get pretty hot quickly, so set out to get there before the heat set in. We were properly kitted out with hats, sunnies, long shirts and most importantly hiking books. The hiking boots have probably been one of the best personal items we brought with us. We also took our lifesaver bottle with us, we shared a litre of water before we left, and put another litre in the backpack. With so many rock pools around, we knew that we wouldn’t have a problem with water. The lifesaver bottle  and jerry can have been another fantastic investment, you can put any kind of water in them and the filters are of such a high standard that you get medical grade sterile water from them – clean enough to pour on burns!

The first part of the walk was back up the hill, I must admit that after all the exercise I have had over the last few days, I found it tough going. Once the trail flattened out, I was fine and we could pick up the pace. It was a real hike, with a lot of ankle breaking, tumbling rocks, mixed with lovely flat trail. We came across the first water hole at the 2.6km mark, we were keen to get to the end so pushed on without stopping, other than to take a look and a few photo's.


 We were confident this time, that there would definitely be no-one else there, to our surprise as we rounded the corner, there was 2 fellow hikers! Luckily they were already on their way back, and told us the best spot to get in the water. Finally we were alone so we stripped off and went for a swim. Iain got out, put on his shorts, grabbed a camera, and we took advantage of the peace to do another photo-shoot.
I must say, that my confidence is really starting to come back now, and I feel a lot more comfortable with my body and scars.

I was stretched out on a rock, posing for Iain, and enjoying the sun, when we both heard a noise, turned and saw another couple watching us. I decided that ass they had already seen me completely naked and didn’t seem perturbed, I would just carry on as normal, so we continued shooting.

When we were done, I swam back to the other side and got dressed. They stayed for around half an hour then left, so we did some more photo’s in the waterfall. I got in the water with a bit of trepidation as I expected the water coming over the falls to be freezing, much to my surprise it was warm.


It was starting to get hot, so we decided we had better start making our way back, we filled up the water bottle and the lifesaver bottle, wet our long sleeve shirts and hats and set off. Now this is where the hiking boots payed dividends, the track as I said was very rocky in places, I stepped on a rock and twisted my ankle. Had it not been for the ankle support in the boots, I hate to think what the outcome would have been. It was throbbing a bit, but I just ignored it and carried on walking. The trip back was hot, and we stopped often too wet our shirts, they took at 10mins to completely dry! I have developed a shorts tan, much to my disgust, so in an effort to combat it I decided to walk back in my G-string bikini.


 We got back to camp, changed into costumes and went for a swim in the rock pool.We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing, and at 5 we went back to the upper rockpool to take some more photo’s and have a last swim. 

When we came back down, we had the fish we had bought from a fishing camp in Limmen  National Park, so we ate half for dinner and I used the other half to make fish cakes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment