Monday 16 September 2013

Mornington Wildlife Camp 11/9/2013



The bed was probably one of the most comfortable I have slept in away from home, we awoke to the sounds of birds singing and Corella’s screeching – gotta love them. Breakfast was part of the accommodation deal, so at 7.30 we went down to the restaurant. I was very excited to find fresh fruit salad. The breakfast was lovely, starting with continental then bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms. 

We thought that another day paddling a gorge was in order, we booked a canoe for one of the other gorges, there were not very many people staying at the centre so we knew it would be another quiet day. We went back to the tent to get ourselves ready, when we booked in we had been told that there were snakes about, particularly a Mulga snake had been seen in the vicinity of our tent in the last couple of weeks. Iain was at the car and I walked back to the tent to get something , when I was about 3m away from the stairs I heard rustling in front of me. I stopped and what was disappearing under the stairs right in front of – a snake of course. I calmly turned around and bolted for the car, Iain intrigued grabbed his camera to take a photo. Of course I had to go with him to show him where the snake was; luckily it was nowhere to be seen. That is 3 snakes in as many weeks! When I described to one of the staff later she informed me it was a black whip snake I had seen, not a Mulga, looking at pictures I am sure it was a Mulga - extremely venomous!

We got down to the gorge and got ourselves organised in a canoe, it was not nearly as impressive as Sir John the day before, but we had expected that. We weren’t even 100m from shore when Iain pulled a sarong out of the camera bag, we heard a plop. Iain immediately realised it was the car keys! We looked over the side into the water and knew straight away there was no chance of finding them – it was way too deep. Iain was really upset, and the more I tried to convince him to just let it go and get on with the day, the more upset he got. We continued paddling and then out of the blue a headwind blew straight up the gorge. We were paddling like mad just to keep moving, very tough going. We eventually got to the end, parked up on some rocks and went for a bit of an explore.

It was blazing hot, and we weren’t having fun, so we paddled back to the beginning and went back to the car. We now had to get the car open so we could get the spare keys out. Luckily we had left the rear pop up windows unlocked. The first order of business was an ice cream – We buy 4 packs and put 2 in our freezer. You should have seen everyone else’s faces when we pulled them out. We explained to the other people in the car park what had happened and prepared to open the door – the alarm is rather loud. That accomplished we headed back to camp.
We both lay on the bed to read, and fell asleep. It was extremely hot and I woke up having a hot flush bathed in sweat. Luckily the mini bar was stocked with cold drinks – a ginger beer went down very well. I woke Iain up and we went down to the restaurant for another cake and coffee. We got chatting to another couple that had just done the Sir John Gorge, before we knew it, it was getting dark and we didn’t have a torch. I tell you I was stomping my feet very hard so that we didn’t surprise any snakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment