Saturday 31 August 2013

Mataranka / Katherine 26/8/2013



The kids were up early, racing around on their bikes, so we decided that we would drive to Katherine for the day and do all the shopping and replenishing we needed to do. On the road to I decided that my feet probably needed a bit of tidying up. I scrubbed them as best I could with baby wipes. A couple of weeks in the bull dust and my shoes and feet were wrecked. One of the things on the list was definitely a replacement pair of thongs.

We drove down the main street of Katherine to see what shops were where, and then parked up. First order of business was to go to the Land Council to pick up our permits for Gove Peninsular. That done we went into woollies to get a few groceries. It is really difficult to stick to exactly what is on the list when you are used to unlimited space. W shopping and then had to put some stuff back as we didn’t think it would fit in the fridge. Iain stood in the queue and I went to Target to get a second duvet cover. I picked up the bargain of the century - $20 for a queen size and good quality too! On the way out we stopped in at a little shop and bought Iain a man sarong and a pair of tie dye shorts for me. We decided Iain needed a sarong as our microfiber towels are just too small to wrap around him when he comes back from a shower – I turning him into a hippie, one thing at a time.

We were both starving by now, and we have come to realise that we are both very grumpy when hungry! We packed away the groceries and headed for Coffee Club, for some lunch and to catch up on our blogs and all things internet. We ordered food and sat down with the laptops, iPad and mobiles  - we certainly got some very strange looks. Two hours later and a few cold drinks under our belts we decided it was time to find somewhere to stay, I fired up good old wotif and found a place called Knots Landing resort, I booked two nights and we packed up and we left.

Iain needed to get another swimming costume – his is looking worse for wear, and I still hadn’t  found any shoes. We saw a shop over the road that looked promising, so we went on over. It turned out to be a little gem, they had racks of Crocs and Havaiana’s. I had seen a pair of Croc thongs in Bowen that I liked, but haven’t been able to find my size anywhere. They had such a big selection that Iain made me buy 2 pairs. He got his swimmers and some shorts, and as soon as he apid he made me change shoes. When we got back to the car he got my Orthoheels and thongs and put them straight in the bin!

We left town and went to check into the resort, I am always a little sceptical here as my version of resort is not always the same as the outback version. We were pleasantly surprised, it was quite nice, the cabins were basic and quite old but very functional and clean. The bathrooms were separate and down a pathway, but each cabin had it’s own one so no sharing. Iain had the great idea of unpacking the whole car so we could sort it out and re-pack it. Needless to say the room looked like a bomb had hit it.

We had booked into the restaurant for dinner, so Iain had to climb on the very dusty roof to retrieve some fancier clothes from the spare clothes box. It felt really nice to be dressed up nicely for a change. Dinner was very nice, although service was a bit slow, we only finished at around 8.45pm so went to bed with very heavy stomachs.

No comments:

Post a Comment